As most people probably noticed by now, there haven’t been any updates in a long time. The scraping of the information from the Apple Trailer page is not a simple thing anymore and it was getting too cumbersome to keep ahead with the updater.
Since I upgrade to a WDTV Live I also have Youtube and with the correct channels I have the same benefit as with Apple Trailers (although with a little lower quality).
So there will be no further updates to the updater itself and only bug fixes to the core filesystem program. It can be the basis for any kind of media system for the WDTV, including a new appletrailerfs like system. The source code is available at SourceForge.net and anyone interested can use it to continue.
It has been a fun project, I learned a lot about C programming and programming for embedded systems, but – as written above – the benefits do no longer outweigh the work.
For a few days the trailers where not up to date due to Apple no longer updating their database files at the old URL. The appletrailerfs updater now uses the new URLs and you should get the newest movie trailers again.
Apple moved the trailers to a new domain and the updater was still verifying the URLs against the old one, so the last two days no movies showed up. The problem is fixed and the next update will pull in the full list again.
The last few days there was a problem that only a few trailers would show up. The problem is fixed now and the next update should give you the normal experience again.
There was a glitch with the database update yesterday. If you got an empty list of movies please just restart the device or appletrailerfs and everything should work again.
There seems to be a problem with the Apple trailer website. Users of QuickTime have the same problems of not being able to play back a trailer. So even with the restored database you won’t be able to play the listed trailers until apple has fixed their website. I’ll keep you posted.
It seems to be related to the user agent. I fixed the updater, but the problem will persists in appletrailerfs itself, i.e. you won’t be able to play back the trailers. I’ll wait until tomorrow to see if Apple has fixed this, otherwise I will post a new version of appletrailerfs that fixes the problem on the client side.
Bugfix available, for download and more details read the blog post.
The last few days the update process seemed to produce an empty database. I noticed it rather late because I just got a mail yesterday. I restored a backup from a few days ago and I’m starting now to debug the problem, I’ll post more info as soon as I have found the problem.